Search This Blog

Monday, November 2, 2009

044 Cowell Factor: "This is It" or Is It?

Michael Jackson's film opens up to rave reviews, but is it really a fitting tribute to the "King of Pop." The twins heat up for ROCK week...and coming up, I have a message for Paula Abdul. Listen to my Cowell Factor NOW!

Let’s take a trip down into the Fame Games talent bank - and this week I’ve come over all retro thanks to Chicago based band The Backroom. I kinda like your song Lost Without You. It’s way too sixties but reminds me a little bit of British band The Feeling. I love it. And… just for fun…a quick call out to Victoria Aitken - with her dance track I’ll Be Your Bitch. Mmmmm - and that’s all I’m gonna say.

So what’s been goin’ on in CowellWorld? Well…I guess all you guys in the US are sick and tired of hearing me go on about the X Factor every week. Is that right?? OK – let’s talk Idol then.

Adam Lambert debuted at number 50 on the Billboard Hot 100 with his song "Time For Miracles." Do you like it? - I do…. It’s very Adam.

But I can’t wait to see what happens when Adam’s album goes up against last years Idol winner Kris Allen - remember him? Yeaaaa, you’d forgotten hadn’t you. I think I know who’ll win that battle.

And…in just over two months time…American Idol is back on your screens - and I’ll be right there reporting on Idol for US radio so hopefully you guys will be getting a few exclusives with those who matter - and you too Simon!

Talking of those who matter…Paula Abdul still hasn't decided whether to take on judging duties on US show So You Think You Can Dance. So I’ve just sent her a text saying…Oh Paula - please take it. There are too many people that want you back on TV. So stop tweeting and call up Nigel Lithgow and do a deal.
So here’s the thing…Michael Jackson said….“If you enter this world knowing you are loved and you leave this world knowing the same, then everything that happens in between can be dealt with.” Mmmmmm.

I couldn’t help but wonder…is Michael Jackson really loved?

It’s kind of poignant that Michael’s documentary film, and song, is called This is It. Because it is - or is it? Because it’s all so ironic when the only way to really get out of debt is to die. How crazy is that?
According to Forbes magazine Michael is now officially the third highest earning deceased celebrity, surpassing icons including Elvis and John Lennon.

Jackson earned $90 million this year, despite only being deceased four months.
Even more infuriating is how he’s now being hailed as the saviour of Sony. Michael would not be amused.

So is this documentary a fitting tribute to the King of Pop? Well, in one way, yes, given that the film proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that Michael was clearly fit and able (during rehearsals anyway) to make a credible comeback at the age of 50. I say 50 because you surely have to be really fit to pull off all those signature dance routines that everyone would have expected to see. Whether he could have physically coped with the strain of completing the full 50 London shows that he was contracted to do is debatable. But the pure fact that the footage clearly demonstrates that Michael was looking so in shape makes the manner and timing of his death that much more contentious.

I guess for me the one reason to see the film is to rejoice in the fact that Michael looked so happy - and it’s proof that if he hadn’t died so tragically he would surely have been back on top for the right reasons. He had a unique talent and could indeed then have left this world knowing people loved him.
Email me and tell me what you think: Tony@famegamesradio.com

The Cowell Factor
If you've only got ONE shot at FAME you might as well get it right!!

No comments: